Saturday, October 2, 2010
Of newlyweds being apart . . .
You can call me a wimp, but the fact is that I've never been away from my husband for more than one night in the almost-10 months we've been married, and the fact that we're about to be apart for 7-8 days--it devastates me. I don't like being apart from John, especially at night--it's hard enough waking up to an empty bed on week days at home, but at least I know he's not far away. I have really needed a vacation since the pregnancy, so when my parents offered to take me along with the family on a week long vacation to West Palm Beach, FL, I knew I wanted to go. John prayed about it and felt it'd be the best for me. However--being such a hardworking husband and soon-to-be father, John couldn't go a week without his 63-hour work and school schedule. Now, I'm married to an engineer--I'm geared to expect to be with him every single night. Nevertheless, our parting earlier today was filled with many tears. We knew I should go on this trip--but . . . but . . . apart? Call it pregnancy hormones or whatever you want, but man . . . I sure miss that guy, even if it's only been 5 hours and 20 minutes.
"Parting is such sweet sorrow." Really? What's sweet about parting? The answer to this question dawned on me as John and I were holding hands before I left. Parting IS sorrow--but having someone to say goodbye to is actually a blessing. Having a loved one to cry on while parting--and having someone to come home to--is sweet indeed. The reason we're sad is because we're apart for a time. I have someone to say goodbye to, I have someone to welcome me home. Parting is a sweet sorrow indeed.
I know he'll get alot of school accomplished this week without me begging him to stay up late and spend time with me, and I know it'll be so good for me to be at the beach. But, even better--it'll be good to be in his arms again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Can't help lovin' dat man of mine..." --Rodgers and Hammerstein
ReplyDelete